Friday, April 6, 2007

Top 5 Childhood Toys

  • Barbie/playing dolls
  • Stuffed animals i.e. Barney
  • Power Ranger (the female rangers)
  • Plastic tea sets/ cooking toys
  • Tamagotchi (virtual pet)
Most of the toys that I played with when I was younger show that I am a female. I guess by playing with a Barbie doll or playing with plastic cooking sets influenced my identity because girls would be the ones that play with these stuff, pretending to be like mommy and growing up to be like her. Having a virtual pet shows nurture, which maybe inherent of females. Playing/ pretending to be Power Rangers shows that even though I'm a girl I can be tough. I don't think that my childhood toys had any influence of my identity as being Chinese or of my class, maybe it's because I was young and I was influenced and kinda raised up by some influences of American culture.

No comments: