Tuesday, March 20, 2007

stereotypes

Asian Stereotypes:
  • Small in stature - I'm not too tall
  • Very smart in mathematics- No, not a math person
  • Horrible drivers- I don't know yet, don't think so.
  • They know martial arts or some form of karate.- Not true,never took any lessons.
  • Over achievers- I like to do good in what I'm doing.
  • Speak with an accent- I don't think so.
  • Dress up like Japanese anime characters - No, I don't read anime
  • Own nail salons, laundromats, dry cleaners- I've been to many that are owned by asians.
  • Eats cats and dogs - No, I don't eat them.
  • female are usually passive- Sometimes I am abit passive.
Movies with Jackie Chan, Jet Li, the asian characters in Charlie's Angel all know martial arts. In many movies the asian characters always talk in an accent. Many of the asian characters are most always over achievers.
Heterosexual:
  • Thinks they are "right" /normal - No
  • Hate non heterosexual people- No
  • Must go "ga-ga" for opposite sex-No
Movies often exagerates heterosexuality. Guys would drool over sexy females. Many television comedies poke fun of other types of people.
Female:
  • Can't drive- I don't know yet
  • Bound to be housewives- I don't think so.
  • Can't maintain/keep careers- I don't think so.
  • Can cook- I can cook some simple things.
  • Are clean, neat people- I am clean, I try to be neat.
  • Shouldn't eat in large portions of food- I don't eat alot, unless I'm really hungry.
  • Shoppers/love shopping- I like shopping but not everyday.
  • Academically less smarter than men- No, not all men.
  • Lean and in right proportion = beauty- I think I am thin.
Advertisers of household supplies are mostly targeting the females. Whenever it deals with cleaning or cooking it is the females that are used in the commercials. Shopping advertisements always shows a female carrying shopping bags.

No comments: